O pracovní pozici
The Laboratory Technologist performs testing to provide data for diagnosis and evaluation in areas of assignment. Performs at a high degree of professional excellence including but not limited to sound, independent judgment, reliability, initiation, flexibility, and interpersonal relationships and communications.
The Laboratory Technologist is required to conform to acceptable professional standards of conduct as defined the practice leadership.
The Laboratory Technologist requires minimal or no direct supervision, is able to work independently, and may be required to provide direction and guidance to other laboratory personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs various chemical procedures with patient specimens using analytical equipment. (LC/MS/MS, liquid handlers, ELISA, etc)
- Performs quality control procedures according to established protocol.
- Performs remedial actions and records all quality control failures and corrective actions according to established protocol.
- Verifies all assays are in control before releasing patient results.
- Performs and logs instrument maintenance according to established protocol.
- Perform calibration of instruments as necessary and ensure calibration period is adequate to cover testing.
- Calculates results according to established protocol.
- Prepares laboratory reports for staff review.
- Follows established protocols for analysis, quality, and ancillary procedures.
- Judges acceptability of specimens and rejects/requests new specimens as indicated.
- Answers telephone and assists with accessioning as necessary.
- Prioritizes work effectively.
- Interrupts testing to perform STAT procedures when necessary.
- Processes requests and investigates complaints through to resolution from physicians, staff, and patients. Reports all complaints to Laboratory Manager.
- Checks lot numbers when restocking instruments or starting new kits.
- Demonstrates troubleshooting skills.
- Participates in internal and external continuing education when required.
- May be required to conduct laboratory in-services.
- Participates in new employee orientation and training as required.
- Participates in method validation for new procedures and/or equipment.
- Participates in developing/writing new procedures and revising old ones.
- Maintains a clean work area and bleaches all counter tops at end of shift, fills out cleaning log.
- Adheres to laboratory and hospital safety practices, including but not limited to OSHA bloodborne pathogens, HIPAA, and hazardous chemicals training and monitoring.
- Cooperates and effectively communicates with laboratory, providers, and other personnel.
- Makes judgments concerning results and takes appropriate actions to maintain accuracy and precision of quality control data.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodologies, test specificity, test sensitivity, and factors that can influence test results.
- Assists in development of new policies and procedures.
- Rotates stock and maintains adequate inventory, notifies appropriate personnel when stock is low.
- Participates in Proficiency Testing.
Vystupte z davu
- An Associates or Bachelor’s Degree (Bachelor’s preferred) in Medical Technology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, or Physics with:
- 60 semester hours including 24 semester hours of medical lab technology; or
- 60 semester hours including 24 hours of science that includes 6 hours chemistry, 6 hours biology, and 12 hours chemistry, biology or,
- medical lab tech in any combination and laboratory training that includes either:
- completion of a clinical lab training program or
- 3 months training in each specialty in which high complexity testing is performed
- Ability to read and comprehend English and comprehend and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Experience in LC/MS/MS.
- Ability to develop Mass Spec methods and run test validations.
- Ability to develop specimen extraction methods.
- Good communication skills in both written and oral form.
- Reasoning skills to apply principles to draw valid conclusions, interpret technical instructions, and etc.
- Advanced math skills to set limits, understand and use CV’s and SD’s.
- Abstract thinking to drive development.
- Ability to handle high stress levels due to working conditions and possible irregular hours.
- Ability to recognize potential exposure to bloodborne pathogens, bodily secretions, and/or hazardous chemicals in the workplace.
- Must be able to demonstrate the technical skills for routine testing in area of assignment within three months of hiring.
- It is reasonable to anticipate exposure to bloodborne pathogens and/or hazardous chemicals in this position.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to lift 35lbs.
- Visual and auditory acuity.
- Ability to walk and bend down.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Good eye/hand coordination and dexterity.
- Ability to appropriately dress to avoid exposure to bloodborne pathogens and bodily secretions.
Fagron offers exciting opportunities for personal and professional growth. We provide an open and truly dynamic environment which supports and encourages you to develop your skills and talents.
Fagron offers its associates competitive salaries and a wide range of benefits including a 401(k) plan with a generous company matching contribution; medical, vision and dental; health savings account (HSA); holiday/paid time off.